We cannot say it enough, with sunny days coming ahead, it is important to protect yourself from the sun for a healthy skin, and this applies to both adults and babies.
If sunscreen comes out as an essential accessory during the hottest months, make sure you make the right choice, by having the right information on types of sunscreen available and different ingredients found in each.
Types of sunscreen: chemical or physical
Sun creams with chemical filters absorb sun rays. They are fairly easy to apply and are commonly found in pharmacies. They must penetrate the skin to be effective and should usually be applied several minutes before exposure to the sun. However, their composition may include chemical ingredients that are hazardous to health, such as oxybenzone, so it is necessary to check the ingredients carefully when choosing a sunscreen with chemical filters.
Physical filter sunscreens are made of minerals such as zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which form a barrier on the skin’s surface to block sun rays and make them reflect off the skin. They are effective as soon as they are applied, but can leave a white layer on the skin. However, it is necessary to repeat the application every 2 hours on average, to avoid burns, and/or after exiting water.
Which sunscreen for baby?
For your baby’s health, it is preferable to choose suitable mineral sunscreens that will give them the protection they need while allowing you to enjoy summer activities without worries. Here is a selection of safe mineral sunscreen products adapted to your child’s needs in this hot season:
- Mineral Sun Cream SPF 30: made in Quebec, hypoallergenic and fragrance free. It is an eco-friendly non-whitening sunscreen.
- Sensitive Skin SPF 30 Sunscreen: hypoallergenic and fragrance free, it was specially designed for babies with atopic, sensitive and dry skin.
- Natural sunscreen: 100% mineral natural sunscreen that uses organic ingredients to provide broad spectrum sun protection.
- SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen Stick: infused with Canadian-grown organic raspberry extract rich in natural antioxydants. It is water and sweat resistant for 80 minutes.
- SPF 27 Suncreen Spray: made of worry-free ingredients, some of which are organic, it effectively protects your child from UV rays.
Choosing a sunscreen with physical rather than chemical filters therefore has a positive effect not only on health, but also on the environment.
It should also be noted that Health Canada recommends that you do not put sunscreen on a baby less than 6 months old without asking your doctor or health care provider first.